Voyage 21

Hurghada, Egypt to Suez, Egypt
April 30 – May 1, 2018

Sunday, April 29, 2018

hurghada_sueztnI’ve had a good rest for the past couple of days.  I have restocked with supplies and I’m ready for the next leg of my voyage to Suez and the Suez Canal.  The weather is looking favorable for a departure from here in the morning.  Surprisingly, the wind forecast suggests that I will have following winds as I head north.  Knowing what I know about wind forecasts, I’m hoping for that good outcome, but I’m prepared for a difficult sail.

Day 1 – Monday, April 30, 2018

At a little after 5:00 AM, I decided to raise anchor and head north into the Gulf of Suez.  When I awoke this morning, I checked the weather forecast and there should be a strong southerly flow that starts up around noon today.  I decided that there was no point in waiting at anchor for the wind to pick up.

Once I was under way, the boat speed was less than about 2 knots.  I didn’t mind because, if the forecast is accurate, this may be a very quick trip to Suez.

During the day, the wind continued to increase.  By sunset, the wind was 10-15 knots and was blowing from the southeast.  The conditions could not be more perfect for my transit of the Gulf of Suez.

At 7:00 PM, I was about 60 nm north of Hurghada and well into the Gulf of Suez.  I’m still trying to figure out how I got so lucky with the weather.  This southerly flow is forecast to continue for more than 24 hours, which means I should reach Suez sometime tomorrow morning.

I almost feel like I’m sailing on a lake.  I can see the shorelines on both sides, an experience I have not had since I started these voyages.  I have the autopilot set to keep me in the center of the lane.  I should make some good distance tonight.

Day 2 – Tuesday, May 1, 2018

05/01/2018 0356 UTC – 29º 7.79′ N 32º 50.48′ E

Last night, the wind was blowing strong, as evidenced by the motion of the boat.  At one point, I checked on the helm and the wind speed was 15-20 gusting to 25.  The strong winds only lasted for about 4-5 hours.  Early this morning, they calmed and were back to 5-10 knots.  At least the wind direction was constant, mostly southerly.

I am only about 50 nm from the port of Suez.  Unfortunately, my boat speed is only averaging about 5 knots, so a morning arrival is not in the cards.  It looks like I will arrive sometime this evening.  Tomorrow will be my transit of the Suez Canal.  I’m looking forward to getting to Port Said and the Mediterranean Sea.

At about 2:40 PM, I arrived at the entrance to the Suez Canal.  I dropped anchor nearby, in preparation for my transit to Port Said.  I am scheduled to transit tomorrow.  Since the simulator does not currently have the complete canal, I will not document the transit in the ship’s log.  Once I arrive in Port Said, I will resupply and then plan my next voyage, which will be to Santorini in the Greek Islands.

05/01/2018 1243 UTC – 29º 56.46′ N 32º 33.14′ E

Return