Voyage 23

Santorini, Greece to Dubrovnik, Croatia
May 11-16, 2018

Day 1 – Friday, May 11, 2018

santorini_dubrovniktnI’ve had a very nice stay at the island of Santorini.  I spent the day today taking in my last views of the island and planning my next voyage.  At about 7:00 PM, I raised the anchor, set my sails, and sailed west out of the Santorini caldera, bound for Dubrovnik.

Day 2 – Saturday, May 12, 2018

05/12/2018 0500 UTC – 36º 4.94′ N 23º 48.96′ E

The sailing overnight was easy.  The wind was steady at 10-15 knots off the starboard beam. This morning, I had traveled almost 100 nm from Santorini.  The wind is currently blowing from the north in the Ionian Sea, but it is forecast to change by the time I am headed north.

In the late afternoon, I had made a turn to the northwest, sailing around the southern portion of Greece.  I have another 60 nm before I can turn north-northwest and then will sail along the west coast of Greece.

Day 3 – Sunday, May 13, 2018

05/13/2016 0516 UTC – 36º 15.3′ N 21º 47.72′ E

I passed the southwest tip of Greece last night.  My sail up the west coast is going to be a bit slow.  The wind is out of the northwest, which makes sailing north-northwest a bit difficult.  I sail north for a few hours, then have to turn to the west-southwest for a few hours, then back again.  I’m hoping the wind will change when I get farther north.  The wind forecast suggests that the winds are stronger farther away from land, so I am trying to get a little bit west of my planned course track.  The day started out on the overcast side.

The afternoon saw the clouds clear and I had a nice sunny day.  I’m definitely not in the tropics anymore because it is 69ºF.  The wind forecast this afternoon turned favorable for my sail to Dubrovnik.  When I get mid-way up the coast of Greece, the wind should move around to the southwest, which will give me the ability to sail more direct and at a better speed.  I should get a better sleep tonight because I don’t think I will be needing to tack anymore.

Day 4 – Monday, May 14, 2018

05/14/2018 0350 UTC – 37º 29.44′ N 20º 34.04′ E

I was up early this morning.  My course is taking my on a close pass of the island of Zakynthos.  I also wanted to check on the wind forecast, which is still looking favorable for several days.

I had to tack to the west for a few hours last night, then the wind shifted and it seems I will have wind off the the port beam to stern for the rest of my voyage.  That is my hope at least.  After Zakynthos, I will pass Cephalonia and Corfu.  Depending on how my voyage is going, I might stop at Corfu if I am sailing by during the day.

Day 5 – Tuesday, May 15, 2018

05/15/2018 0440 UTC – 39º 43.26′ N 19º 25.24′ E

At about 7:00 AM, I was just slightly northwest of Corfu.  I decided against a stop at Corfu before I turned in last night because I would have been required to sail into the port mostly in the dark.  Since the wind is now blowing from about 180º, approaching Corfu from the north would not be possible.  I decided to just continue to Dubrovnik.  I can always stop at Corfu on my way back south in a few weeks.

During the past 24 hours, the sailing has been the best it’s been in several weeks.  The wind is fresh and my boat speed is between 6 and 7 knots.  Since yesterday morning, I have traveled 145 nm.  The forecast for the next 24 hours suggests that the wind is going to really kick up.

I enjoyed a close pass of the island of Othonoi while I was enjoying my morning cup of tea.  It should be another great day for sailing!

Day 6 – Wednesday, May 16, 2018

05/16/2018 0355 UTC – 42º 20.62′ N 18º 14.06′ E

I was up early this morning.  At about 5:00 AM, I was about 20 nm from my turn eastbound into the harbor at Dubrovnik.  The forecast had been for very strong winds this morning, but the opposite has occurred.  The wind speed has dropped to around 5 knots, so my boat speed is right around 5 knots as well.  I’m thinking I should be anchored before lunch.  My last 24 hours have been the best this voyage for distance.  I traveled 167 nm since my last position report.  The strong winds and favorable wind direction are to thank for this.

At about 10:30 AM, I dropped anchor adjacent to the Yacht Club Orsan, just north of the city center.  I will be spending a few days here.  There are issues with the simulator that make it unusable for sailing while offline.  Unless the developers fix this issue, I won’t be sailing again until it is fixed.

Return