Voyage 4

Kaunakakai, Hawaii to
Nawiliwili, Hawaii
August 6-7, 2017

molokai-kauaitnDay 1 – Sunday, August 6, 2017

It was a nice stay at the island of Molokai, but it was time to continue to my next stop, the island of Kauai.  For this voyage, I planned to sail around the south side of Oahu and then northwest to Kauai.

At about 5:00 AM, I raised the anchor and headed to the southwest to pick up the wind that had increased since I arrived at Molokai.  The wind was over 10 knots and I was able to get the boat almost to 7 knots, the fastest the Tahiti Dream had gone in many days.

At about 8:30 AM, I reached the point where I turned northwest.  I had 53 nm to go for my next turn direct to Kauai.  I expected I’d get there around 3:30 PM this afternoon.  So far, I have good winds.  The boat is averaging 7 knots.  I’m looking forward to my sail past the island of Oahu.

At about 9:45 AM, my speed was up to about 8 knots.  It’s nice having a fresh breeze, when compared with the light winds I had coming up from Hilo.  I adjusted my course so that I will pass close to the southwest point of Oahu.  The depth of the water drops to over 200 meters a little more than a mile offshore, so I will get a pretty close look as I sail by.   With my increased speed, it looks like I will pass Oahu at the closest point around 2:15 PM.

At 1:45 PM, it was clear I wouldn’t make it to Barber’s Point on Oahu as soon as I thought.  As I passed south of Oahu, I think the island was blocking some of my wind.  My speed dropped to about 6 knots.  Once I get past the point, the wind should pick up on the west side of Oahu.

At 2:55 PM, I passed by Barber’s Point and turned more northwest toward Kauai.  As I suspected, once a got up a little farther on the west side of Oahu, the wind picked up.  I was back to averaging 7-8 knots.  The GPS estimates I’ll arrive at Nawiliwili around midnight.

The wind continued at 10-15 knots into the evening.  I watched Oahu shrink into the distance.  By 6:30 PM, I was 10 nm west of Kaena Point on Oahu.  I was far enough away that I could only see the highest parts of the island.  I still had 54 nm to reach Nawiliwili.  The updated arrival estimate was 1:00 AM.  Another late night arrival.  I sat on the foredeck and watched another beautiful sunset.

I decided to stay up late since I’d be arriving at my anchorage shortly after midnight.  Once the sun set, it wasn’t completely dark because of the nearly full moon.

Day 2 – Monday, August 7, 2017

I reached the position where I decided to drop anchor, just off Ninini Point, at 1:35 AM.  Once I had the boat’s systems secured, I headed below for a good night’s sleep.  In the morning, I planned to go into Lihue and buy supplies for the next voyage.